The legendary 1908 Dutton – Aunger, Talbot, model type 4T was nicknamed ‘474’ (it’s SA Registration Number). It was built by Clement Talbot Limited in London, it has a 4 cylinder 25 hp motor, weighed 1280kg and had a wheelbase of 9ft 8in and a track of 4ft. 7in. It had a cruising speed of around 75km/h (45mph).
The vehicle was ordered from England and arrived without a body, as was standard for that time. The body is made of wood with a box featuring vertically opening doors in the rear, this style is similar to a typical delivery vehicle body of the period. Attached to the sides were a shovel and an axe. The vehicle was equipped with kerosene lamps lights and a firearm.
The engine is 4155cc, 25hp (Royal Automobile Club) rating or 40 brake horsepower.
Engine type is water cooled with mono cast cylinders and ‘T’ head featuring side exhaust and inlet valves in a cross flow style, aluminum crankcase with bore x stroke 105mm x 120mm flow through lubricating system.
The engine is essentially a long stroking motor, with slow rpm and heavy flywheel developing abundant torque and perfect for getting up steep sand hills.
The ignition was dual ignition with a Bosch High Tension Magneto and distributor
Gearbox, alloy cast housing with four forward and one reverse gear, utilizing a leather lined cone clutch. As was common for the day the gearbox and engine are separate.
Wooden spokes artillery type wheels, originally running 880x120 clincher type tires but now running on well based rim and tires (circa 1920’s Dodge, 4 cylinder). The tires that Dutton and Aunger ran were all terrain type, having a steel stud tread pattern. Front wheels are on a standard axle on semi elliptical springs. Differential and Rear Axle is of a conventional beveled gear drive and fully floating hubs with live axle on half elliptic and a transverse spring giving the rear axle a great degree of flexibility to cross rough terrain. The footbrake operates on transmission, handbrakes operates contracting band on the rear wheels only, and there are no front brakes, which was customary for the period.
Modifications to the vehicle included a luggage rack arrangement on top of the box body, a water tank built into the body and an exterior outlet. It carried modified Stepney style spare wheels that were able to be bolted to the existing wheels to increase weight displacement and reduce ground pressure.
In fifty one days the car traveled 3250 kilometers (2100 miles) with an average daily distance of 64 kilometers per day. Incredibly, the car only suffered three punctures over the entire journey.